My friend, Katharine, texted me the other day and said, “Quick—favorite running songs.” I named off a few and then started to think about a longer list. If you’re interested and need some motivational music, here’s my top 10 list:
- Eminem, “‘Til I Collapse” – When Eminem yells at me to not give up, not give in, I listen.
- Pat Benetar, “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” – This is what I want to tell running. Go ahead, running. Hit me with your best shot.
- Jay-Z, “99 Problems” – It’s true; I may have 99 problem some days, but a b*tch certainly isn’t one.
- Fall Out Boy, “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark” – I normally wouldn’t include such a new song, but when this songs hits the chorus and they chant, “Light ’em up, up, up, light ’em up, up, up,” it instantly makes me run just a little faster.
- Blink 182, “All the Small Things” – Really, almost any Blink 182 song will fit here, but this is a classic.
- Dixie Chicks, “Ready to Run” – There is not quicker way to get me to reminisce about high school cross country than to play “Ready to Run.” I’m gonna be ready this time (ready this time).
- Cake, “The Distance” and “I Will Survive” – While we’re talking about high school, these were my high school track songs. “The Distance” is obvious—”Reluctantly crouched at the starting line … ” The second, “I Will Survive,” was my anthem during sprint workouts from a really, really tough coach. (I still cringe when I hear the song—but run a little harder.)
- Petey Pablo, “Raise Up” – And to polish off high school, this is my Beach Week (Senior Week, whatever) song and it always pumps me up. Good memories and a good beat—can’t go wrong.
- Ludacris, “Move, B*tch” – Yes, please. Move.
- Carrie Underwood, “Blown Away” – Like the Fall Out Boy song, Carrie’s “Blown Away” is pretty new, but I play it on repeat any time it comes on my iPod. She’s angry, it’s loud, and I love it.
I’m always looking for songs to add to my playlist, as well. What are you favorite running songs?